Thursday, January 13, 2011

Before the change comes ...

I can't believe it! As of next week our family will forever be changed. Next week we will get to welcome our little girl into our family. I can NOT wait to not be pregnant. :) Oh, and I can't wait to meet her. ;)

I just wanted to take a minute and write a little bit about some things I want to remember about my kids. Things I want to remember for a long time about them TODAY, before their new baby sister comes, and how they are and what makes them, them.


Willard:

Will loves school. He had a rough time at the beginning, but once we reminded him that he needed to give people their personal space and just kind of listen to his teacher, he has been fine. He does great. He LOVE to read, and is actually really good at it. He likes math and writing and reading, and drawing. He has a crazy imagination, and it's wonderful. Will is great at pretending, and he's taught his siblings to do this with him really well.
Will also loves primary. He's excited to tell us what he learned and shares the stories with our family. He is so attentive when we read scriptures as a family at night. He can usually tell us exactly what is going on, and what has happened.
One of Will's many talents is that he has an AMAZING memory. Seriously people, it's incredible. I'm always amazed at the things he tells me he remembers and the exactness that he remembers them. I'm really interested to see how this develops as he gets older, and what he'll remember from his childhood. It'll be interesting to find out what his first memory is.


Kate:

Kate has been enjoying preschool. I think it's been good for her socially. She's pretty shy, and it's helped her to make friends with other kids that she'd never met before, and get out and talk and play and meet with them. She's struggles with one little boy in the class. They both just taunt each other back and forth. Hopefully it'll get better though. :) She is learning the sounds of the letters well. I'm actually impressed with her ability to do simple math skills. She's good at counting, and even able to do some simple addition (if she's up for it, lol).
Kate just started primary this month and loves it. However, when she was in nursery, she and Spencer were in the same class, and she was always so good to make sure he was taken care of. She loves the "big class" (aka sharing time/singing time), and enjoys her other class as well.
Kate is very, very caring. Sometimes a little too much, but we're working on that. :) Kate hates conflict. Sometimes she's the cause, but if someone is complaining, crying, whining for long enough, Kate will do whatever she possibly can to make it better. If someone is crying, she's the first to find them, give them a hug and tell you it'll be okay. She is good at making sure people know that they are loved by her. She's very excited to get a little sister in a few days. I can't even express how happy I am for her. :) It's my dream come true for her. I know they won't always get along, but I'm so grateful that she'll have a little sister.

As a random side note ... when I was 12 years old I kind of made a promise to myself that I'd have 2 boys and 2 girls so that my kids would always have a same gender sibling. I have 2 older brothers and sometimes that was super hard for me. HOWEVER, I'm so grateful for the 2 brothers I have. They're both amazing. I finally figured out at some point (I'm pretty sure it was around age 15 or 16 maybe sooner I'm not sure) in my younger years that I was SO grateful that I didn't grow up with any sisters. I realized that I had exactly what I needed to have. I am almost positive having a sister wouldn't have been a good thing for me, lol. Maybe that's one reason I didn't have one. I am grateful also, for my 4 wonderful sisters-in-law. They are all great friends and family, and I'm so happy to have them NOW (and for the last several years) in my life because I know that now is when I need sisters to help me and be there for me. :) I'm also grateful that Kate gets to grow up with one though, lol.

Spencer Wayne:
Don't you just love that cheesy grin? LOVE it. Spencer, Spencer, Spencer. I don't even know how to describe him. He's so loving, and easy going, and SUCH a goof ball, shy, and ornery all at the same time, lol. Spencer is 2. He'll be 3 in May though, so hopefully the "terrible twos" part of him will go along with the passing number. He is very into being independent. I know this is a 2 year old thing, I also know it's a "I see my 2 older siblings doing everything one their own, so I can do it too, or I must try until I HAVE to ask for your help." :)
I must say ... one thing I adore (at least 90% of the time) is that Spencer is my little buddy. I'm not sure what it is, but Spencer and I are just buds. He's totally a mama's boy. Ask anyone that's seen him with Dale and I both around, and he's my boy. :) The other 10% of the time that I DON'T like it, is when he's mean to his dad, because he does get mean to his dad sometimes. He just refuses to let Dale help him sometimes and is flat out rude (he'll just grunt at him, and turn away, or scream "NO, mom help me!", ya know, something pleasant like that, lol).
Spencer is learning his letters (honestly, I haven't worked with him, I was a bit shocked when he could tell some of them to me), and he's trying to figure out counting. Spencer still struggles a bit with talking. I am not overly worried about it because he's catching on and saying full sentences now. I love it when he talks in a full sentence, lol. Dumb I know, but it always takes me off guard just a little because I'm not totally used to it. It's super cute though.
Spencer LOVES Jack. Jack's getting bigger and can play, and interact well with the other kids, and Spencer is so in love with having a little brother. He loves to make him laugh, and he can make him laugh! It's so cute. Spencer really just loves his family. He loves Will and Kate as well, and when asked about the baby he can point and tell us her name. He's just so chill and happy to be with all of us.

Jack:
Ah! My baby boy. Sometimes I look at him, and cuddle him (because, oh my heck, he's my cuddler and will totally still just snuggle up, Dale and I both love it) and cry. I can't help it. He's my little miracle. He reminds me to be grateful for the chaos that goes one in my house, and that I need to be happy for each of my children, even on hard days.
Jack takes life is stride. I think that's why he's been able to handle so many things in his first year of life. He's SO happy to play and be with the kids. Jack can go up and down the stairs with ease these days, which is WONDERFUL for him because he gets MAD if he is left behind while everyone else goes to play. He is always at a lose if for some reason I get to take him somewhere without the other kids. The confused look on his face is priceless.
Jack still isn't walking (he'll be my first to now walk before a new baby comes, but that's alright). He is getting better at balancing himself. I think once he gets that down, he'll be good to go ... literally. :) He's starting to talk a bit more, or at least say them when prompted. He says, mom, dad, Kate, Jack, ball, done. He'll attempt to say Will, but it's pretty hard. He won't even attempt Spencer though, lol. :)


My 4 kids!

Pictures taken by Katharine LeCheminant.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

LOVE this post. so cute about all of them!

Jenny said...

It's fun to hear about each of the kids as individuals. The pictures look nice too!