Sunday, September 12, 2010

What I've learned

Last night I was able to attend the adult session for our Stake Conference. It was nice to go and just be able to listen and take notes. After a few speakers, the stake president picked 2 people to come up and bare their testimonies from the congregation. The first was a recently returned 21 year old missionary. The second was a women who had recently returned home from her mission with her husband. Her testimony really, really touched me. Let me give a little back story.

About three years ago Dale's parents left on a mission. They were called to serve in the Paraguay temple. We were able to use Skype to keep in touch, and e-mail as well. It was fun to see their pictures, and hear about the experiences they had.
About 6 or 7 months into their mission we got a call from Dale's parents telling us that my father-in-law had been called to serve a mission president in a Spanish speaking mission. We were to find out the exact mission soon. This news was very unexpected, but very exciting at the same time. Fast forward a little while, and we found out that they were going to be serving in Ventura, CA. We were VERY excited to have them much, much closer to home.

They made it home from Paraguay just in time for so many fun family events. Birthdays, graduations, births of two grandchildren, and time with family. It was so wonderful. It has been 2 years since they left for CA. It seems like it's been SO long since they've been home (it kind of has, it's been 3 years because of their mission in Paraguay), and they have another year to go. However, because they are in California, we've been able to take our family out there to visit 2 times a year. It's been fabulous.

On Sunday as I was listening to this sister bare her testimony of the missionary work that she rendered, something struck me. I knew that we'd receive blessing from my in-laws service, and that it would be wonderful for my children in so many ways, but it was like I realized that it truly has been SO wonderful to have them out serving our church and the missionaries.

It's given us the opportunity to have family home evenings on missionary work, and then bare testimony to our children about that, and give the wonderful example of what grandma and grandpa are doing. We write letters and draw pictures. Will LOVES to go visit and meet the missionaries and shake their hands. He is always so excited to see missionaries, and can't wait until he can be like grandma and grandpa with a name tag and everything. I know that because of their willingness to serve a full-time mission, and accept the call to be a mission president, it has greatly blessed our children to know how important that is to our family.

I know that it's not always easy for them. Luckily my mother-in-law has been able to come back to Utah to meet both grandchildren that have been born since they have been in California. It was a huge blessing in our lives when she was able to come help out while Jack was in the hospital. I also have to say, she's been a great example to me while she's been there. I know it's not an easy calling. She's away from her family, and grandkids, and her home. We feel of their love here though. We know that they are doing what they should be doing. We know that they love the Lord. I am so grateful for the out ward testimony that shines through them because of their willingness to do what they've been asked. We have been given great opportunities because of their service.

We all miss you very, very much. We are sad that January will come sooner than you will. But we are excited for you to be home soon after. Thank you for serving, even on hard days, and loving the Lord and the missionaries in such a way that we all feel it. You are both wonderful! Know that you've blessed our family so much!! :) Can't wait to see you in a few weeks.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Amen. :) I totally agree. Thanks for posting Kara.

Sister Murri said...

You are all worth it, every bit. I can't wait to see you all either. Love, Grandmama

Becca said...

Sweet and sincere posts are the best to read. You inspire me. :)