Monday, July 06, 2009

Day 5: Channel Islands

Friday morning we got everyone ready and headed over to the dock where we'd get on our boat to head to the Channel Islands. It was a neat experience, and I'm glad we went. It was a bit stressful, and I totally got sick (doesn't help that I've been having motion sickness this pregnancy from even long car rides, etc. so I knew it'd happen on the boat). The kids did all right also.

This rock area was just COVERED with birds. It was crazy, but amazing too.


Will (obviously a little scared) Lisa, Kate, Sarah, and Ella


The captain told us that sometimes they'll see dolphin pods, or even whales on the way to or from the Islands. He said if they saw anything that they would turn the boat around and drive by slower so everyone could see them. Well, about half way through our trip the boat totally stops, and I'm totally thinking the boat broke down or something. Nope. The captain saw some dolphins and was turning around! How amazing is that?!? They were SO close and so amazing. I loved that the kids could even see them easily and were mesmerized by them. Will was 100% fine (and not so keen to holding on like the in the above picture) after the dolphins came by. They're hard to see, but the slashes are them going up and down.


Here is another that you can actually see the dolphin jumping a bit more in.


In this picture you can see this dolphin that was swimming RIGHT next to the boat. It was amazing! I took several pictures, but some are harder to find the dolphin in them.


Will and Grandpa checkin' out the water. Will's over his fear now and willing to hold on by himself.


Once off the boat we found a picnic table to have lunch on. It was great to be able to sit and just chill after the boat ride. Spencer was SO happy to be off the boat, and so smiley. I love this picture of him.


After lunch we had about 1 1/2 hours before our boat was to leave. There were a couple different hikes, and Dale really wanted to go on one in particular. So the kids and I headed up with him, and thankfully Wayne (Dale's dad) came along with us. It was SO helpful to have him there. I can't really carry the kids very long at all right now, let alone while hiking. So thank you SO SO much to Dale and Wayne who had to carry the two younger kids a LOT.


At the top of the hike. About half way. It was pretty amazing. If you looked around at some points it totally felt like you were in a desert, and totally not on an island.


But then, the next minute, you look around, and TA DA! The ocean!


Wayne, Dale and the kids.


Following the leader, the leader, the leader. Following the leader where ever they may go . . .


The amazing view over the bend. So many great pictures, but this was amazing!


I tried to pull my weight when I could. Me and Spencer.


This is what Wayne and Dale looked like almost the entire hike.




An amazing view of where the boat had pulled in.


We made it back to the boat on time, and that was exciting, lol. After only about 10-15 minutes on the boat, Spencer was so tired and wiggly, grandpa put him in Ella's stroller (since it was out and right next to him) and Spencer was asleep in no time.


Dale and Skyler spent as much time as possible at the front of the boat.


Dale was finally able to get Will to go up to the front with him for the last little bit of our time home one the boat. You can see the splash comin' up, and that was a smaller one.

1 comment:

None said...

Absolutely Gorgeous!!!