Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Thumbs up for stitches

Don't you love days that are supposed to be normal, and turn out to be anything BUT normal?  Yeah ... so yesterday morning we were getting everyone rushed out the door to get Spencer to preschool (Kate and Will had already left for school, so it was the 4 other kids and I).  Well, I'd gotten Emma in the car and was just grabbing a few things or whatever in the house, and I go out to the garage where I hear Jack crying, but figured he and Hannah were fighting over something.  They were.  A soup can.  Now, we have this awesome can opener (seriously, click that link, the can opener is awesome), but the soup can they were fighting over, was a pull tab one, and we'd utilized the pull tab feature when we opened it.  We rinsed the can out and threw it on our recycle box we have in the garage.  Yeah ... Jack was totally bleeding holding the lid.  When I was a teenager I had cut myself on a can lid and needed stitches.  I ran him inside, torn (literally) open a box of band-aids while holding a paper towel over the cut and opened the band-aid one handed and wrapped it as tightly as possible around his thumb.  I bucked him and Hannah quickly in the car (remember, we've got to get Spencer to school too), and on the way over to preschool called my neighbor hoping her ER doctor husband would be home.  He wasn't.  Shoot!  I called Dale let him know what was up, and then called the pediatricians office.  They told me to take the band-aid off, clean it, see how deep it was, see if it'd stopped bleeding and to call back if it wasn't.  We were already at home by this point and Jack was freaking out about me taking off the band-aid (and I was too).  I gave him some candy (from his trick or treat stash) took the band-aid off and it was still totally bleeding (after like 15-20 minutes) and tried to clean it up but the bleeding was just not stopping.  I have no idea how deep it was b/c there was always blood ... to me, that was a blessing.  I could NOT handle seeing random things coming out of anyone or random things inside I shouldn't be seeing.  I just put  2 more band-aids on and called the doctor while loading up the kids.  So to the doctor we went.  
Luckily right as we were checking in our doctors nurse was walking through the waiting room looking for someone (I guess) and she took us right back (yay for the nurse totally knowing us, I feel like we're friends, lol).  They put numbing cream on (awesome right, no shot), and put a band-aid on and let it sit for about 20 minutes.  Dale came by while this was going on since the doctor is like 5 minutes from his work.  
Once the cream was effective  the doctor came in and Dale helped hold him down and they started stitching.  Jack was AMAZING!  He didn't even try to move.  He held crazy still.  He got to watch a movie too, which was helpful.  Jack got 3 stickers (one is what they usually get for a well check) and a sucker because he was so brave.  
We got done just in time to pick up Spencer from preschool, and bring his friend home with us too.  Whoa!  What a morning!  Then I got to spend the rest of my day washing/drying/folding/putting away SEVEN loads of laundry.  Don't be jealous.

Waiting at the doctor

 Jack is doing great today (day after).  He did wake up around 12:30 AM screaming because his band-aid had come off.  Once a new one was replaced he was calm and slept fine.  He is being his normal self.  Apparently he wanted to start year #3 off with a bang.  It'd been too long for him since he'd had stitches, lol. :)
Next day and used to the band-aid

Oh, and I find it ironic.  Spencer broke his elbow, so we've got that under our belt, and now Jack has had stitches (from accidental injury) ... so we're good right? 
Oh, and Jack's kind of taken one for the team.  He also was hospitalized, life flighted, had major surgery ... yep.  I think between Jack and Spencer we're good on injuries for forever.  Thanks boys!  :)  Thanks to Jack for taking all those stitches for everyone.  We appreciate it, lol.  :)  Love this little brave boy.

No comments: