Today Jack is officially 18 months 19 days old.
I know it may seems silly to be writing that.
Did you know that the average child walks between 9-17 months?
Yeah, I know, some walk sooner, some take their time. No big deal.
Ya know what?
I was told at Jack's 1 year appointment by his doctor that the year ahead would very telling for him.
Jack has accomplished all his skills within the time frame that doctors have wanted (always the later end, but always accomplished them).
Except for walking.
Jack wasn't even standing alone until he was about 15 months old.
When we went to Jack's first appointment with his Stroke Specialist she told us that he might be clumsy his entire life because of where his blood clot was.
She also told us that because he was so tiny when he had his brain surgery,
that his little brain would compensate for anything that might be controlled in any part of the brain that might have been hurt or damaged.
We had no idea what his life might be like, or what ours might be like.
Know what?!? No one ever knows Jack's been through so much.
People are shocked to know he had a stroke when he was 10 days old.
I have days where the memories just flood my mind. The feelings come back of that night we took him to the ER, and what it was like to walk into my home with my babies car seat empty knowing he was taking a helicopter ride. I remember so clearly what it was like to have Dale back at home with the kids, and the night I stayed at the hospital in their parent guest rooms alone. Waking at 3 AM only to want to see my baby. So I did, and the moment I walked out of my room, another mom walked out of hers. We walked to the PICU together, and we talked. I told her why I was there, and she told me why she was there. I remember that was the night that Jack's umbilical cord fell off. They saved it in a bag, and I told him to throw it away, and that I was SO glad I didn't have to deal with it b/c I hated that part of having a newborn, lol. He was so nice though. Jack was doing well that night.
As we've been to doctors visits and specialists things always turn out well.
Jack is talking, plays ring around the rosies, cheeses it up for the camera and wrestling his brothers. He loves to just fall on top of them, and bust up laughing.
I often carry Jack up to his room for his naps, and love when he just snuggles up. I'm often reminded of how fragile his life once was. How fragile it truly still is. It makes me think about when I held him for the first time after his surgery. It was so scary. I was so worried I'd hurt him. I cried. Then I was promptly interrupted as often happened at that hospital (with all the different specials/residents/doctors, lol).
I never doubted that Jack would walk. He's been crawling for a while now, and cruising along the furniture. Once he finally mastered balance I figured it'd come soon. It's still taken a while for him to be able to balance, and walk at the same time.
But guess what?!? This weekend Dale and I decided that Jack is officially WALKING!!!
He only crawls when walking is WAY too slow for him to keep up. He's walking around our house all the time. He falls a lot still, but he always stands back up and keeps walking.
What a miracle huh?? Here is proof of our huge miracle that has been going on over the last few months.
I know it might seem silly to some that I make such a big deal.
It's just a huge deal to me.
I have 2 babies I have to carry around everywhere we go... they're different ages by the way, lol.
Jack is my little fighter, and he's so tough, but oh so sweet.
It's been hard for me though. It's been hard to watch all the kids younger than him walking and running and going so quick once he figure it out. Being in nursery was a bit sad as he crawled his way around while all the other kids were toddling. It's silly, but it just reminded me of what he's been through. Praying that he'd get there, and that it'd be before he turned 2. He still has a ways to go before he runs (although he tries, and promptly falls, lol). He's walking, and he's trying, and he gets right back up and does it all over again.
His little life helps remind me why I need to be a better mom.
So today, we celebrate a big milestone, made a little bigger for him from me, because he can do it, and he is doing it, and he is overcoming and his little body is compensating.
Yay Jack Jack!!
10 comments:
Congratulations to you and Jack both!
Yay for Jack! I'm sure it's a big moment for him and for you!
So not silly to be excited, it is a little miracle :) Reminds you how blessed we are to have these beautiful little children!
I bet it's such a relief for you. He's such a cute little guy!
YAY!! That's wonderful. I'm glad that you're so excited about it.
That is so great. He is so cute. I can't believe that he has been though so much already. He is a little miracle.
Hooray for Jack! That's so awesome!
Go Jack Go!!!
YAY!!!!! That is awesome!!!
Hooray for Jack - what fighters these little ones can be in spite of the odds. lov, Gr.Gr Murri
Post a Comment