My cute friend Becky sent me an e-mail saying that they were going to go to Disneyland this year, and wanted to invite all their friend. I had heard about Disney's Give a Day Get a Day, but honestly, with 4 kids I knew I'd never get it done. The thing is, I know that I'll have an opportunity to go to Disneyland this year since Dale's parents are living in CA just 1 1/2 hours from Disneyland.
I was out as a "Mom's Night" the other night, and someone mentioned that Project Linus was on the list for Disney's Give a Day Get a Day! You have NO idea how EXCITED I was!!!
Why do I care about Project Linus to the extent that I was SO excited that I could serve with them to get a Disney day?? Mostly, I was excited to figure out a "simple" way to sign up and help them. Why is that?? Because that service helped me SO much in a time when no one else, but my sweet husband knew what life was like.
When Jack was admitted to Utah Valley Medical Center's Pediatric Unit, it was scary. Then the doctor told us that he had a blood clot ... a BIG blood clot in his brain and that he would be LIFE FLIGHTED (without us) to Primary Children's. Wow! That was BIG news to take in. By Jack's little "bed" there was a blanket folded up nicely and tied, with a note on it. I figured we'd get the blanket when we left, but didn't think much of it. The nurses did give us the blanket before we left to follow our baby to a helicopter and then drive home to tell our kids about Jack. I honestly don't remember when I looked at the blanket again. I think it was when I finally came back home after a couple days at Primary's. I was cleaning up all of the things that just got piled with the empty carseat. I took a moment and read the words that were attached to the blanket I was given.
I can't be there to hold your hand,
I can't be there to hug you.
I can't be there to dry a tear,
But there is one thing that I can do.
I an sit here in my room at night
And dream of you out there.
And make a blanket just for you
With tender loving care.
And when you hold this blanket in your arms
And close your eyes real right,
You can feel the love I tucked inside
When I made this late one night.
So dry your tears and smile a smile . . .
You aren't alone . . . you see.
You have this special blanket . . .
You have a part of me.
Poem by Pam Braden
Blanket from UVMC -- this had the above poem. It has minky on the back, so adorable, but still so simple.
It was so nice to read this sweet poem, but someone I didn't know, and a hold an adorable blanket made by someone I didn't know (maybe the same person?), and know that someone knew that I needed love and comfort.
The day before Jack left the Pediatric ICU at Primary's we received another sweet blanket. I love these two blankets. LOVE them. Part of it reminds me of the sweetness of someone else in a very hard time. But I think it's also a reminder that even in our hardest times, there is someone that knows, someone that cares, someone that wants to help us.
I want to do that for someone! I want to take a moment in the night (which is the only time I have to take a moment) and help someone else. To make a blanket that can bring that comfort, that spark of hope to someone when their child is having a very hard time. When they are going through something that they never imagined was coming. When all they might have in a moment is a blanket, because their baby is hooked up to tubes so intensive that they aren't able to hold their baby, but they can put a blanket of love over their baby to help give them the warmth that they wish they could give themselves.
If you want to give a day, know that as simple as making a blanket can be, it can bring peace and comfort to parents and children who may need to know someone out there it aware of their trials. :)
Thank you Disney, for letting Project Linus be a part of you!! I am SO excited to do this.
3 comments:
I was looking up places to donate blankets to the other day so I could have another excuse to make a quilt and also stumbled upon this. Not that a day at Disney is going to happen for us, especially being that we're in Wisconsin & the house hunt budget doesn't allow for plane tickets, but it was fun to dream...
Wow, what a neat story, you made me get all teary eyed! I'm so glad that Jack is doing fine!
I know you know I had never stepped foot inside PCMC until little Jack's incident. I feel very fortunate that none of you ever had the need to be there. But, through the years (like so many people) I have donated and I have given quilts to the Project Linus program. I never dreamed it would one day be my daughter and grandson receiving one AND I never knew they put the little poems in them. Maybe we could take an afternoon and whip up a few...
Post a Comment