Saturday, April 12, 2008

The story behind the name ....

I wasn't really planning to post this, but Dale thought that we should. I guess since we will for sure be using Dennison, first or middle name, it's a great story and we'd love for you all to know where we got this name. It's not random, or made up, or anything like that. I will site my source at the bottom of the story. I will be writing this story directly from the source though, so it's not my own words, and to make sure I get it correctly. :)

"A few months before the Prophet Joseph Smith was murdered at Carthage, some of his enemies plotted to kill him. As part of their plan, they sought to enlist others in their conspiracy. Among those they invited to a meeting in Nauvoo were two young men still in their teens, Robert Scott and Dennison L. Harris. Dennison’s father, Emer, was the older brother of Martin Harris, one of the Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon. Being loyal to the Prophet, these young men immediately reported the invitation to Dennison’s father, who advised the Prophet Joseph and sought his advice. Joseph asked Emer Harris to request that the young men attend the meeting, pay strict attention to what was said, make no commitments, and report the entire matter to the Prophet.

As events proceeded, there were three meetings. They began by denouncing Joseph as a fallen prophet, proceeded to considering how Joseph could be overthrown, and concluded with specific planning to kill him. All of this the two young men reported to the Prophet Joseph after each meeting.

Before the third meeting, the Prophet foresaw what would happen and told the young men this would be the last meeting. He warned them that the conspirators might kill them when they refused the required oath to participate in the murderous scheme. He said he did not think the conspirators would shed their blood because they were so young, but he called upon their loyalty and courage in these words: “Don’t flinch. If you have to die, die like men, you will be martyrs to the cause, and your crowns can be no greater.” He renewed his original caution that they should not make any promises or enter into any covenants with the conspirators. Then he blessed them and expressed his love for their willingness to risk their lives for him.

As Joseph had foreseen, the third and final meeting required all present to unite in a solemn oath to destroy Joseph Smith. When the two boys refused, explaining that Joseph had never harmed them and they were unwilling to participate in his destruction, the leaders declared that since the boys knew the group’s plans, they must agree to join them or they must die on the spot. Knives were drawn.

Some protested killing the boys, especially since their parents knew of their presence, so their failure to return would cast suspicion on some of the conspirators. By the barest margin, the cautious course was chosen, and those who opposed killing prevailed. The boys were threatened with certain death if they ever revealed what had transpired in the meetings or who had participated, and they were then allowed to leave unharmed.

As the boys passed beyond the view of the guards, they were met by the Prophet, who was anxiously watching and praying for their safe return. They reported everything to him. He thanked and praised them, and then, for their safety, counseled them not to speak of this to anyone for 20 years or more."

Dallin H. Oaks, “Following the Pioneers,Ensign, Nov 1997, 72

Dennison Harris in the above story is an ancestor of Dale's family. The relation comes from Emer Harris, who was Dennison's father. After I heard this story, my perspective of the name completely changed. Part of it I think is due to the fact that after spending 4 months living in Nauvoo and gaining a testimony of the early saints in the church and of Joseph Smith. It's amazing to me that 2 teenage boys were willing to risk their LIVES for Joseph Smith and in keeping him safe as long as possible. We just wanted to share with all of you the story behind the name. We hope you take time to read it and enjoy it.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Those two young men set a great example of courage and loyalty.

I thought I remembered you saying that Dennison is a family name on the Murri side. Is it the same Dennison in the story? Is there someone else in the family named Dennison so it kind of has a two-part thing where it is after this Dennison AND an ancestor, or, am I just making up the family relation? If there is no family member named Dennison, why did you select to use the name Dennison over Robert?

Unknown said...

I totally forgot to add that, thanks. I did go in and add who he was in relation to us in the last paragraph. Dennison's father, Emer Harris, is the ancestor on Dale's side.

Erin said...

I say regarding your post from a couple of days ago about the name Dennison. I say you name your kid whatever you want and don't tell anyone what it will be until after the baby is born because then you don't have people swaying your opinion on the name. No matter what the name is people are going to find something that they don't like about it because it is a chili brand or Dennison the menace-on or whatever. Any kid is going to be made fun of for any name you give them when they are in grade school and then when they get older they will move on, grow up, and won't care anymore. Also even if you use dennison and he gets made fun of in ANY way you can tell your little Dennison the awesome story about his name and then he won't care anymore because he'll try to be like the dennison in the story and stand up for himself.:) I really like Dennison because I think it honestly fits your family. I love Jack Dennison Murri, although Jack is popular right now I could TOTALLY picture you guys with a little Jack Dennison running around. I also think that using dennison whether its first or middle name fits really well with Willard because they are both old semi unusual names but still really cool sounding. I also think the people who voted for the "start all over" didn't realize it could be used as a middle name. One little thing that john pointed out to me with using "NESS" is that Ness is the name of a certain character on a certain movie that your husband likes. Did Dale know that and want Ness for that purpose? If so, John thinks thats awesome!Good luck, I say just keep dennison as first or middle and then take your baby book to the hospital with you and the first name you see in the book after the baby is born that has angelical lights coming off of the name and angel sounds appear in the background as you are reading it should be the name you use.:)

Erin said...

Sorry that was so long of a comment when I could have told you that at your front door.

Dale said...

Actually Dennison is my ancestor. Emer Harris is Martin Harris' brother. But it is a good story and the reason behind why we might use the name

Unknown said...

Oh don't worry. We just wanted to know what people thought of it. We'll name him whatever we want. Lol. We're not opposed to naming him Dennison if people don't like it. There are plenty of people that give us weird looks when they find out Will's name is Willard. :) That's fine. My grandpa was an amazing person. We'll have to see what happens. Like I mentioned, we really have no names picked out at all. I KNOW he won't be named until after he's born, so it'll be fun to see what we end up naming him.

I think (personal opinion) that the people that voted that they hated the name and to start over, I think some of those votes would have been towards a middle name had we had the option, so I don't think everyone full out hates it, but I'm sure there are some that do.

Ariane Mardis said...

Hi Kara...

I was surfing blogs of friends and came across your blog. I Didn't know you had a little girl, Congrats and congrats to the third on the way! Your little Family is Growing!! I'm So happy for you!

Ariane Mardis said...

Yes it is Mccall From our Ward. They just have the girl her name is Ryan. It is pretty cool that natalie's and mccall's baby were born so close. Also on that list is Crystal Robinson who is having twins, sheena hancock, and brittany brown. that you may know.

Anonymous said...

I just want to let you know that Robert Scott is my ancestor. I love hearing this story and I love the testimony these boys are to me. I think your Dennison is lucky to be named after someone who had such faith and courage. Nauvoo will always hold these special memories for me as well.

Kaytie Brown said...

What a cool name, and AMAZING story. LOVE it!!!